Worst and Best Ways to Clean Your Eyeglasses
A new pair of eyeglasses just cost you a small fortune. Besides prescription lenses and fashionable frames, you also added anti-reflective, anti-scratch, and UV coatings to your purchase.
It’s only right to protect your eyesight, because your eyesight is a precious thing, isn’t it? Of course! Here’s the problem: You may be destroying your investment one cleaning at a time.
Lens coatings for eyeglasses are modern innovations because they not only protect your eyes from harmful UV rays, but they also provide comfort. The coatings are also relatively durable. Remember, Anti-Scratch doesn’t mean 100% scratch-proof. Although it helps a bit to prevent scratches that can easily occur with a regular lens, it is not perfect.
Think of the following methods as “never-ever” ways to clean glasses because they may break down the coatings, removing their qualities and leaving a mess behind.
- Glass cleaners
- are ammonia-based
- citrus juice
- and toilet paper
- paper, plus tissues
- on the lenses
- and shirt
Wood pulp in paper towels and facial tissues, and tiny fibers in shirt fabric can scratch your skin and create a haze that’s impossible to get rid of. Paper and fabric are like extremely fine sandpaper.
So, now that we’ve gotten the worst things to use to clean eyeglasses out of the way, here are the best things you can do to maintain your eyeglasses’ beauty and extend their life.
- It’s a fluid
- used for dishwashing
- that contains alcohol
- on the microfiber
- cleaning cloths
How to clean eyeglasses
- Cleaning eyeglasses and sunglasses is as simple as following these steps:
- Wet your glasses under lukewarm water. It is best not to use hot water on lenses with coatings since it will reduce their lifespan.
- A small drop of dish soap — blue Dawn is ideal — should be placed on your fingertips. Gently rub it on both sides of the lenses and the nose pads. Cleaning eyeglasses at home is best done with dish soap. This is even recommended by the American Optometric Association.
- Rinse and dry with a clean, microfiber cloth after washing with warm water. Light touches are recommended. Your glasses should be perfectly clean after using the microfiber cloth, as it leaves no lint behind.
- Keep your glasses clean throughout the day by using individually-wrapped lens wipes. If you want to use rubbing alcohol, spray it from a bottle and use a microfiber cloth afterward.
Deep clean machine
- Does it seem that your glasses have gone through a lot? Do you think they need deep cleaning? The hinges, nose piece, pads, and crevices should be periodically deep cleaned with a machine that removes dirt and residue without harming the protective coating*. Maintenance is crucial to ensuring that your eyeglasses remain clear and durable.
When using any ultrasonic cleaning machine like this Magna sonic Professional Ultrasonic Eyeglasses and Jewelry Cleaner, make sure to use lukewarm water even if the instructions say to use hot water. Your frames and lens coating can actually be warped by high temperatures. Although tap water is fine, you should filter the water before drinking it.
In ten minutes, your eyeglasses’ deep cleaning will be complete if you follow the instructions included with the machine. This is amazing!